Tuesday, June 4, 2013

So much bigger than us


So, when Seth first left I took it way harder than I had expected. It was like it didn't sink in until the actual day he left. I had to call in to work and say I couldn't come back that afternoon. The reality sunk in, and though I still trusted God, the fact that I wouldn't get to see him for 5 months was weighing on me. We got no phone calls besides the initial "I have arrived at Fort Leonard Wood. I am safe. I will call you when I can." I will never forget that one! I started getting letters pretty early though, and reading Seth's words was so soothing to the pain I felt. I would rush home to the mailbox and then read the same letters over and over again. The thing that gave the most comfort from those early letters was the realization and proof that we had been obedient and God's plan was set into action. At reception (where they wait before basic even starts) Seth had started a bible study. He said more and more guys were coming to him for prayer and guidance. He told the married men about our God-centered relationship, and they said they wanted that with their wives.  Seth and I both began to really grow closer to God and each other. He started bringing guys to church. Several got saved on Easter. One funny thing that happened was a drill sergeant came up and apologized to Seth because he had cussed in church earlier that week. You have seen the movies. you know what the language is like. You know how drill sergeants treat SITs (soldiers in training) and it sure isn't likely that they would  apologize for anything, especially something as common as using profanity. Seth said, "I don't even know how he knew I was a Christian." Well, I do. One of Seth's favorite verses, Matthew 5:16, says, "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven." Anyone who has ever been around Seth has seen this light. He is so full of joy and laughter. People want to be around him because he just shines from within. You cannot deny God's power in the presence of a light like that. He has a joy that others long for. It is so strong, it became evident to a drill sergeant during the first and hardest days of Army Basic Combat Training. My favorite book in the Bible is Esther (also the name of my PRECIOUS niece). Esther 4:14 says, "...And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this." At such a difficult time, God gave us comfort by showing us, over and over, that we were put in this position "for such a time as this." 





No comments:

Post a Comment